Thursday, September 11, 2014

Week #2 Only Floss the Teeth You Want to Keep

Although I had a slower start than usual, the pace is picking up exponentially. Josh gets credit for the project idea (Thank you Josh); however, Matt, Josh, and I had a great time brainstorming on how I am going to approach my new project.

What is my project you ask? The potential benefits for oral hygiene from (black) tea. Perhaps superficially, the project may seem rather simple. Nevertheless, with the help of my mentors, we have made this project not only intense and fun but probably my favorite assignment to date.

My next step is to develop a protocol, but first I have to go back to Microbiology (Bergey's Manual) and identify the residential bacteria in my mouth and any potential exogenous microorganisms as well. For those of you who have already taken microbiology, you are familiar with the harmless, beneficial residential flora as well bacteria which may cause infections in others but reside in your person and are not virulent.

Speaking of which, I discovered that I am a carrier of Steptococcus pyogenes, a gram positive bacterium which cause streptococcus pharyngitis. Interestingly enough, I have never had strep throat. So, if you see me in the lab drinking copious amounts of tea and/or swishing and spitting and taking samples, don't be shy, join in on the fun. We can have a tea party. Just make sure you bring the crumpets!





No comments:

Post a Comment