Thursday, February 12, 2015

Week #3 Creativity Sapped...Spirit Soars with Rhizobium

This has been an exciting week. Now, for those of you who don’t know me very well, it’s probably difficult to determine whether or not I am joking; however, for those of you who do, you know that inoculating  non-leguminous seeds with Rhizobium sp. and watching them germinate faster than the control is going to be the highlight of my weekend. I am glad Matt shares my excitement in this endeavor; not to mention our favorite color is green. We actually ran a statistical analysis on the limited data we have collected thus far and the p-value (1%) is actually significant. One of the drawbacks of this experiment is the weekend. My seeds are growing so quickly that this three day weekend is going to skew my results. I am disappointed but will run another round next week.


Safety First


Color Coordination: A prerequisite to any successful lab colleague relationship

2 comments:

  1. If your project continues along its current tragectory, will you also be able to determine the strain of Rhizobium(s)? After all, I would hate to see the little guys not receive credit for their contribution to science.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luckily, for us and the Rhizobium spp, they came to the lab with legal status (i.e. proper documentation). The strains have already been identified and in the event of success will be recognized accordingly.

    ReplyDelete