Thursday, November 6, 2014

Week #10 Regression, Contamination, and Potential Confirmation

This week I have managed to compile all of my data to date and perform multiple linear regression models with spectacular Rvalues and even beautiful colors :). You would be surprised how much statistical analysis supports our biological endeavors. I was pleasantly surprised to see Green Tea's role in Streptococcus mutans and oral hygiene. I will give you a sneak peak below.

I also discovered that my control plate for the sterilized water iteration showed contamination. A slew of variables could have been the cause of the contamination; however, just the thought of potentially swishing contaminated water for over three hours was a tad disgusting. So was it a waste of time? To the casual observer, perhaps; however, in the name of science, absolutely not! I tested the other three bottles and am waiting on the results. I have also sterilized more water and poured additional Mitis Salivarius plates. Let the games begin, again...

In other news, with the help of Robin and Cori, we found Strep kits. So now I will be able to take last week's data and test it against seven different types of Strep. Strep A is pyogenes, and while I did have a zone of inhibition around the bacitracin disc, it isn't enough support to confirm that I am a carrier. Although this was a side project, it fits nicely into my main one as it is still identifying different types of Streptococcus bacteria in our mouths. The only drawback is that the kits expired about 8 years ago. I am sure diabetic patients wouldn't test their glucose on expired strips of such duration; however, it's still worth shot; don't you think?

Have fun Geocaching!

J.




No comments:

Post a Comment